- ‘I Keep Moving When Things Change, I Suppose’: Mobilities, Escapades, and Entrapments. Youth Mobilities and Immobilities in the Asia-Pacific Region, Asia Research Institute, National University of Singapore, 7-8 Nov
- Race, Education, and Citizenship: Mobile Malaysians and a Culture of Migration. ARI Seminar Series, Asia Research Institute (ARI), National University of Singapore, 11 Jun.
- Race, Education, and Citizenship: Mobile Malaysians, British Colonial Legacies, and a Culture of Migration, Institute of Asia Pacific Studies (IAPS), University of Nottingham Malaysia, 9 Jun.
- Race, Education, and Citizenship: Mobile Malaysians and a Culture of Migration. Anthropology Department Friday Seminar Series, Chinese University of Hong Kong, 24 Oct.
- Malaysia’s Education System and Stratified Migration Flows: Insights from a Qualitative Research. Khazanah Research Institute Lunchtime Seminar Series, Khazanah Research Institute, Malaysia, 21 Aug.
- A Season of Urban Vignettes, Geographical Association (GA) Annual Conference, University of Derby, 5 Apr
- State-led Talent Project and the Neglected “Malaysian Diaspora”: Whose Diaspora, What Citizenship?, The ‘Diaspora Strategies’ of Migrant-Sending Countries: Migration-as-Development Reinvented?, National University of Singapore, 5-6 Nov
- Constituting Citizenship(s) in a Culture of Migration: Encounters and Conversations with Skilled Malaysia Diasporas in London, Singapore and Kuala Lumpur, Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences (FASS) Migration Research Cluster, National University of Singapore (NUS), 9 Oct
- Learning about Being “Malaysian” in Migration: Conversations with Malaysian “Skilled Diasporas” in London, Singapore and Kuala Lumpur, Diaspora and Development Studies: Questions, Approaches and Emerging Insights, A Travelling Postgraduate Workshop Series, University College London, 29 May
- The “Malaysian Diaspora”: Citizenship Choices and the Multiplicities of “Return”, Economic Migration, Diaspora and the Brain Drain in the Asia-Pacific, University of Malaya (UM), 14 Dec
- Property Agents, Investment Clubs, and Property Tourism: Facilitating the Investment-Migration of Middle-Class Investor-Migrants in Asia, IAS Wednesday Seminar Series, Institute of Asian Studies (IAS), Universiti Brunei Darussalam, 15 Mar.
- Learning from Kampong Kirkby and Kirkbyites: The Creation and Maintenance of Multicultural Conviviality, IAS Wednesday Seminar Series, Institute of Asian Studies, Universiti Brunei Darussalam, 14 Sept.
- Race, Education, and Citizenship: Mobile Malaysians and a Culture of Migration, IAS Wednesday Seminar Series, Institute of Asian Studies (IAS), Universiti Brunei Darussalam, 9 Mar.
Alpha Territoriality in Hong Kong and London: The Local Implications of Transnational Real Estate Investment by the Super-rich. Urban Group Seminar, Department of Public Policy, City University of Hong Kong, 12 May. (with B. Wissink)
- British Colonial Legacies and A Culture of Migration, Cities & Development Research Seminar Series, Department of Geography and Environment, LSE, 29 Oct
Conference Papers & Presentations
- ‘Property-Enabled Migration’ to Iskandar Malaysia: Transnational Real Estate Developers and Migration Agents. ISA-RC43: Housing and the Built Environment Conference 2017 ‘Unreal Estate? Rethinking Housing, Class and Identity’, City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, 18–21 Jun
- Property Agents, Investment Clubs and Property Tourism: Facilitating the Migration Mobilities of Middle Class Investor-Migrants in Asia. Trans-Asian Mobilities and Encounters, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand, 23–24 Jan
- Learning from Kampong Kirkby and Kirkbyites: The Creation and Maintenance of Multicultural Conviviality, The 10th International Malaysian Studies Conference (MSC10), Universiti Malaysia Sabah, 15-17 Aug
- Comparability, Validity, and Usefulness: Thinking through the ‘Alpha-Territoriality in London and Hong Kong’ Project, Doing Global Urban Research, Loughborough University, 7-9 Sept
- Enabling and Structuring Elite Transnational Lifestyles: Intermediaries of the Super-Rich, Panel on ‘Exploring the Migration Industries (1)’, 2015 Annual International Conference of the Royal Geographic Society, University of Exeter, 2-4 Sept (with B. Wissink)
- Exploring the Limits and Possibilities of Postcolonial Migration Scholarship: Reflections on a Malaysian Case, Panel on ‘Migration, Citizenship and Mobilities in Asia and the Pacific: Postcolonial Perspectives’, International Convention of Asian Scholars (ICAS9), Adelaide, 5-9 Jul
- Urban Elites in Hong Kong: From Colonial Spaces to the 1% City, Association of American Geographers (AAG) Annual Conference 2015, Chicago, USA, 21-25 Apr (with B. Wissink & R. Forrest)
- Kampong Kirkby: Living (and Invoking) 1950s Malaya across Space and Time, Association for Asian Studies (AAS) Annual Conference 2015, Chicago, USA, 26-29 Mar [awarded John A. Lent prize for best paper on Malaysia, Singapore, or Brunei presented at the 2015 AAS Meeting]
- Tycoon City: Power and Privilege in Hong Kong, Cities and the Super-Rich, Hong Kong, 15-16 Jan (with B. Wissink & R. Forrest)
- Unpacking Race: Tackling the Ethnicity Bias through the Cases of Malaysian-Chinese Skilled Migrants in Singapore and London, The Eighth Global Social Science Conference: Trans-disciplinary Approaches to Global Social Sciences, Hong Kong Baptist University (HKBU), 11-12 Dec
- Tracing (Education-)Migration Geographies: Malaysian Diasporas and Returnees, The 9th International Malaysian Studies Conference (MSC9), Universiti Malaysia Terengganu (UMT), 18-20 Aug
- Geographies of Education-Induced Migration: How Mobile Malaysians End Up in Singapore and London, The Road Less Travelled: Mobility in Southeast Asian Societies, Institute of Asian Studies, Universiti Brunei Darulssalam, 31 Mar-1 Apr
- Transnational Migration and the Unintended Consequences of Multiculturalism as Discourse, Multiculturalism and “Asia”, Monash Asia Institute, Monash University, Melbourne, 21-22 Nov
- Citizen, Diaspora, Emigrant, Immigrant?: Mobile Malaysians Caught In Between Malaysia, Singapore and the UK, Asian Migration and Global Diasporas, City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, 6-7 Sept
- ‘Outstation’ and ‘Migration’: Preliminary Thoughts from the Malaysian Context, AAG Annual Meeting 2013, Session on “Asia on the Move”, Los Angeles, 9-13 Apr
- Fixities and Fluidities of Citizenship and Migration Decision-Making: Listening Closely to the “Malaysian Diaspora”, Asia-Pacific Worlds in Motion IV, Singapore, 20-21 Feb
- Estranging Selves and the Perpetuation of Diasporic Consciousness: Second Generation Chinese-Malaysian Citizen-Diasporas in Singapore, Welcoming Strangers, Royal Holloway, University of London, 27 Apr
- Diasporic Consciousness On-the-go: Citizenship Emotionalities and Rationalities amongst Malaysian Skilled Diasporas, RGS-IBG Annual International Conference 2012, Session on “Dismantling diasporas: rethinking the geographies of diasporic identity, mobility and development (4): Using the diaspora: re-conceptualising diaspora and development”, Edinburgh, 3-5 Jul
- Brain Drain or Banal Everyday Lives: Malaysians (and ex-Malaysians) Negotiating Emotional Geographies of Diasporic Citizenship and Mobilities, The 8th International Malaysian Studies Conference (MSC8), Bangi, 9-11 Jul
- The Sceptical Citizen, The Mobile Citizen, and The Converted National: Chinese-Malaysians in Singapore Negotiating “Skilled Diasporic Citizenship”, Annual RC21 Conference, Amsterdam, 7-9 Jul
- Negotiating “Skilled Diasporic Citizenship”: Chinese-Malaysians in Singapore, 6th Graduate Student Forum on Southeast Asia Studies, Asia Research Institute (ARI), National University of Singapore (NUS), 11-15 Jul
- (2011) “Emotional Geographies of Skilled Diasporic Citizenship: Malaysians (and ex-Malaysians) in Singapore, London and Kuala Lumpur Negotiating Citizenship and Migration Trajectories”. In: LSE Research Day 2011: The Early Career Researcher, 26 May 2011, London School of Economics and Political Science, London, UK. (Unpublished).