Monographs and Books (more details here)
- Koh, S.Y. (2017) Race, Education and Citizenship: Mobile Malaysians, British Colonial Legacies, and a Culture of Migration. New York: Palgrave Macmillan. ‘Migration, Diasporas, and Citizenship’ Series.
- Forrest, R., Koh, S.Y., & Wissink, B. (Eds.) (2017) Cities and the Super-Rich: Real Estate, Elite Practices and Urban Political Economies. New York: Palgrave Macmillan. ‘The Contemporary City’ Series.
Journal Special Issues (more details here)
- Rogers, D., & Koh, S.Y. (Eds.) (2017) The Globalisation of Real Estate: The Politics and Practice of Foreign Real Estate Investment [Special Issue]. International Journal of Housing Policy, 17(1), 1-144.
- Rogers, D., & Koh, S. Y. (2017) The Globalisation of Real Estate: The Politics and Practice of Foreign Real Estate Investment. International Journal of Housing Policy, 17(1), 1-14. [limited free e-print here]
Peer Reviewed Journal Articles
- Koh, S.Y., & Wissink, B. (forthcoming). Enabling, Structuring and Creating Elite Transnational Lifestyles: Intermediaries of the Super-Rich and the Elite Mobilities Industry. Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies. [2015 impact factor: 1.536]
- Koh, S.Y. (2015). Postcolonial Approaches to Migration in Asia: Reflections and Projections. Geography Compass, 9(8), 432-444.
- Koh, S.Y. (2015). State-led Talent Return Migration Programme and the Doubly Neglected ‘Malaysian Diaspora’: Whose Diaspora, What Citizenship, Whose Development? Singapore Journal of Tropical Geography, 36(2), 183-200. [2015 impact factor: 1.085]
- Koh, S.Y. (2015). Temporalities of Citizenship: Malaysian-Chinese Skilled Migrants in Singapore and Returnees to Malaysia. Asian and Pacific Migration Journal, 24(1), 3-27. [2015 impact factor: 0.357]
- Koh, S.Y. (2015). How and Why Race Matters: Malaysian-Chinese Transnational Migrants Interpreting and Practising Bumiputera-Differentiated Citizenship. Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, 41(3), 531-550. [2015 impact factor: 1.536]
Peer-Reviewed Book Chapters
- Koh, S.Y. (2017). Geographies of Education-Induced Skilled Migration: The Malaysian Case. In T. Abebe & J. Waters (Eds.), Labouring and Learning (pp. 221-242). Vol.10 of Skelton, T. (Editor-in-chief) Geographies of Children and Young People. Singapore: Springer.
- Koh, S.Y., Wissink, B., & Forrest, R. (2016). Reconsidering the Super-rich: Variations, Structural Conditions, and Urban Consequences. In I. Hay & J. Beaverstock (Eds.) Handbook on Wealth and the Super-Rich (pp. 18- 40). Cheltenham; Norhampton, MA: Edward Elgar.
- Koh, S.Y. (2016). Contextualising Geographies of Education-Induced Migration: How Mobile Malaysians End Up in Singapore, London and Kuala Lumpur. In K.F. Lian, M. Rahman and Y. Alas (Eds.) International Migration in Southeast Asia: Continuities and Discontinuities (pp. 83-102). Singapore: Springer.
- Koh, S.Y. (2015). Unpacking ‘Malaysia’ and ‘Malaysian Citizenship’: Perspectives of Malaysian-Chinese Skilled Diasporas. In A. Christou & E. Mavroudi (Eds.), Dismantling Diasporas: Rethinking the Geographies of Diasporic Identity, Connection and Development (pp. 129-143). Surrey; Burlington: Ashgate.
- Koh, S.Y. (2014). Diasporic ‘Unbelonging’ to Malaysia and Singapore: Second-Generation Malaysian-Chinese Migrants in Singapore. In Y.W. Chan, D. Haines & J.H.X. Lee (Eds.), The Age of Asian Migration: Continuity, Diversity, and Susceptibility Volume I (pp. 358-372). Newcastle upon-Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
Non Peer-Reviewed Book Chapters
- Forrest, R., Koh, S.Y., & Wissink, B. (2017) In Search of the Super-Rich: Who are They? Where are They? In R. Forrest, S.Y. Koh, & B. Wissink (Eds.) Cities and the Super-Rich: Real Estate, Elite Practices, and Urban Political Economics (pp. 1–18). New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Wissink, B., Koh, S.Y., & Forrest, R. (2017) Tycoon City: Power and Privilege in Hong Kong. In R. Forrest, S.Y. Koh, & B. Wissink (Eds.) Cities and the Super-Rich: Real Estate, Elite Practices, and Urban Political Economics (pp. 229–252). New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Forrest, R.., Koh, S.Y., & Wissink, B. (2017) Hyper-Divided Cities and the ‘Immoral’ Super-Rich – Five Parting Questions. In R. Forrest, S.Y. Koh, & B. Wissink (Eds.) Cities and the Super-Rich: Real Estate, Elite Practices, and Urban Political Economics (pp. 273–287). New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Koh, S.Y. (2010). Towards a Theory of ‘Skilled Diasporic Citizenship’: Tertiary-Educated Chinese-Malaysians in Singapore as Citizens, Diasporas and Transnational Migrants Negotiating Citizenship and Migration Decisions. (Migration Studies Unit Working Papers No. 2010/07) London: Migration Studies Unit (MSU).
- Koh, S.Y. (2016). Learning from Kampong Kirky: The Creation and Maintenance of Multicultural Conviviality. In N. Md. Yusof, M.A. Abd Rahman & N. Hamdan (Eds.), Proceedings: The Tenth International Malaysian Studies Conference (MSC10) (pp. 375-389). Bangi: Malaysian Social Science Association.
- Koh, S.Y. (2012). Brain Drain or Banal Everyday Lives: Malaysians (and Ex-Malaysians) Negotiating Emotional Geographies of Diasporic Citizenship and Mobilities. In M. H. Shah & S. Hassan (Eds.), MSC8 Proceedings: Selected Full Papers (pp. 141-158). Kajang: Malaysian Social Science Association.
- Koh, S.Y. (2005). How To Become A Famous Architect: Rem Koolhaas and the Construction of Image. Folio 06, p. 110-117. National University of Singapore, Singapore.
Invited Book Reviews
- Koh, S.Y. (2016). Review of Jijiao Zhang and Howard Duncan, eds. Migration in China and Asia: Experience and Policy. International Perspectives on Migration, Springer. Journal of Chinese Overseas, 12(1), 162–165.
- Koh, S.Y. (2016). Review of Jayato Bhattacharya and Coonoor Kripalani (eds) Indian and Chinese immigrant communities, Anthem Press; ISEAS Publishing. ASEASUK News: Newsletter of the Association of Southeast Asian Studies in the United Kingdom, 59(Spring 2016), 18–20.
Book Reviews in Peer Reviewed Journals
- Koh, S.Y. (2014). Passion and Paranoia: Emotions and the Culture of Emotion in Academia, Charlotte Bloch. Ashgate, Burlington, VT (2012), ISBN: 978-1-4094-4254-7. Emotion, Space and Society, 11, 119-120.
- Koh, S.Y. (2013). Review of Holst, F. (2012). Ethnicization and Identity Construction in Malaysia. Abingdon, Oxon; New York: Routledge. Studies in Ethnicity and Nationalism, 13(2), 269-271.
Other Book Reviews
- Koh, S.Y. (2017, 1 Mar). Book Review: Capital Without Borders: Wealth Managers and the One Percent by Brook Harrington. LSE Review of Books.
- Koh, S.Y. (2015, 5 Sept). Review of Out to Work: Migration, Gender and the Changing Lives of Rural Women in Contemporary China by Arianne M Gaetano. Asian Review of Books.
- Koh, S.Y. (2015, 29 Mar). Review of Shanghai Homes: Palimpsests of Private Life by Jie Li. Asian Review of Books.
- Koh, S.Y. (2015, 10 Mar). Review of Wombs in Labor: Transnational Commercial Surrogacy in India by Amrita Pande. Asian Review of Books.
- Koh, S.Y. (2014, 23 Sept). Book Review: The Unruly PhD. LSE Review of Books. Review of Peabody, R. (2014). The Unruly PhD: Doubts, Detours, Departures and Other Stories. Palgrave Macmillan. [fourth most popular social science book reviews of 2014 on LSE Review of Books]
- Koh, S.Y. (2014). Whiter the ‘Asian’ City? The Newsletter, 67, 18.
- Koh, S.Y. (2013, 5 Jun). Book Review: Urban China. LSE Review of Books. Review of Ren, X. (2012). Urban China. Cambridge; Malden: Polity Press.
- Koh, S.Y. (2013, 18 Apr). Book Review: Presumed Incompetent: The Intersections of Race and Class for Women in Academia. LSE Review of Books. Review of Gutierrez y Muhs, G., Niemann, Y. F., Gonzalez, C. G., and Harris, A. P. (Eds.) (2012). Presumed Incompetent: The Intersections of Race and Class for Women in Academia. Boulder, Colorado: Utah State University Press. [second most-read gender studies book reviews of 2013 on LSE Review of Books]
- Koh, S.Y. (2012, 14 Jun). Imagination and migration in-progress. New Asia Books. Review of Baas, M. (2010). Imagined mobility : Migration and transnationalism among Indian students in Australia. London, UK ; New York, NY: Anthem Press.
Online Scholarly and Other Articles
- Koh, S.Y. (2014, 29 Mar). Encountering the archival research ‘field’. LSE Field Research Methods Lab.
- Koh, S.Y. (2012, 13 May). Questioning the urban. Urban Vignettes Editorial Series.
- Koh, S.Y. (2012, 25 Apr). Numbers matter, don’t they? Outstation: For Malaysians abroad, returnees and everyone in-between.
- Koh, S.Y. (2012, 11 Jan). Everyday lives of the Malaysian diaspora. New Mandala: New perspectives on mainland Southeast Asia.