Book Reviews in Peer Reviewed Journals
- Koh, S.Y. (2019). Citizens in Motion: Emigration, Immigration, and Re- Migration across China’s Borders, by Elaine Ho. Asian Journal of Social Science, 47(6), 753-756. [PDF]
- Koh, S.Y. (2016). Review of Jijiao Zhang and Howard Duncan, eds. Migration in China and Asia: Experience and Policy. International Perspectives on Migration, Springer. Journal of Chinese Overseas, 12(1), 162–165. [invited]
- Koh, S.Y. (2014). Passion and Paranoia: Emotions and the Culture of Emotion in Academia, Charlotte Bloch. Ashgate, Burlington, VT (2012), ISBN: 978-1-4094-4254-7. Emotion, Space and Society, 11, 119-120.
- Koh, S.Y. (2013). Review of Holst, F. (2012). Ethnicization and Identity Construction in Malaysia. Abingdon, Oxon; New York: Routledge. Studies in Ethnicity and Nationalism, 13(2), 269-271.
Book Reviews in Scholarly Newsletters
- Koh, S.Y. (2017). Review of Megha Amrith, Caring for Strangers: Filipino Medical Workers in Asia, Copenhagen: NIAS Press. ASEASUK News: Newsletter of the Association of Southeast Asian Studies in the United Kingdom, 62(Autumn 2017), 22–24. [invited]
- Koh, S.Y. (2016). Review of Jayato Bhattacharya and Coonoor Kripalani (eds) Indian and Chinese immigrant communities, Anthem Press; ISEAS Publishing. ASEASUK News: Newsletter of the Association of Southeast Asian Studies in the United Kingdom, 59(Spring 2016), 18–20. [invited]
Other Book Reviews
- Koh, S.Y. (2017, 5 Jun). Book Review: Platform Capitalism by Nick Srnicek. LSE Review of Books.
- Koh, S.Y. (2017, 1 Mar). Book Review: Capital Without Borders: Wealth Managers and the One Percent by Brook Harrington. LSE Review of Books.
- Koh, S.Y. (2015, 5 Sept). Review of Out to Work: Migration, Gender and the Changing Lives of Rural Women in Contemporary China by Arianne M Gaetano.Asian Review of Books.
- Koh, S.Y. (2015, 29 Mar). Review of Shanghai Homes: Palimpsests of Private Life by Jie Li. Asian Review of Books.
- Koh, S.Y. (2015, 10 Mar). Review of Wombs in Labor: Transnational Commercial Surrogacy in India by Amrita Pande. Asian Review of Books.
- Koh, S.Y. (2014, 23 Sept). Book Review: The Unruly PhD. LSE Review of Books. Review of Peabody, R. (2014). The Unruly PhD: Doubts, Detours, Departures and Other Stories. Palgrave Macmillan. [fourth most popular social science book reviews of 2014 on LSE Review of Books]
- Koh, S.Y. (2014). Whiter the ‘Asian’ City? The Newsletter, 67, 18.
- Koh, S.Y. (2013, 5 Jun). Book Review: Urban China. LSE Review of Books. Review of Ren, X. (2012). Urban China. Cambridge; Malden: Polity Press.
- Koh, S.Y. (2013, 18 Apr). Book Review: Presumed Incompetent: The Intersections of Race and Class for Women in Academia. LSE Review of Books. Review of Gutierrez y Muhs, G., Niemann, Y. F., Gonzalez, C. G., and Harris, A. P. (Eds.) (2012). Presumed Incompetent: The Intersections of Race and Class for Women in Academia. Boulder, Colorado: Utah State University Press. [second most-read gender studies book reviews of 2013 on LSE Review of Books]
- Koh, S.Y. (2012, 14 Jun). Imagination and migration in-progress. New Asia Books. Review of Baas, M. (2010). Imagined mobility : Migration and transnationalism among Indian students in Australia. London, UK ; New York, NY: Anthem Press.